Gilles,

Javadoc is not XHTML but HTML... and not just HTML, but an HTML fragment.
Documentation writers need to remember that their content is being placed
within a bigger document so correct tag usage is important to get
predictable results.

I think all Math committers will find this thread about the Javadoc changes
for Java 8 to be informative (switching to thread view can help):
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2013-July/019269.html

Paul