"Correct tag usage" for JavaDoc is properly formed HTML. HTML does not have
self-closing tags -- XHTML does. So if you want to have a proper HTML
document, you don't use self-closing tags.

By the way, HTML isn't legacy. HTML continues to evolve but XHTML is a
whole different beast. XML (also XHTML) processing is unforgiving -- your
document is right or wrong (nothing in between). HTML processing is lenient
in error handling and allows predictable processing despite mistakes.
Having a "properly formed XML document" inside of HTML, which is what
JavaDoc generates, buys you nothing. What buys you something is properly
formatted HTML in an HTML document.

Cheers,
Paul