On 7/22/14, 3:05 PM, Gilles wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:01:44 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> Looks like other projects are running VOTEs to ensure there is
>> consensus for this action and including references to VOTE threads
>> in INFRA JIRAs.  Lets do this.  The action I am proposing is that we
>> request a new ASF git repo, make the current svn repo read-only
>> (adding a README to make it clear) and change github mirroring to
>> use the git repo.   Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72
>> hours.  Note that this VOTE applies only to [math], i.e.
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math.
>>
>> [ ] +1 go for it
>> [ ] +0 OK, but...
>> [ ] -0  Not happy about this, because...
>   [X] -1 We should not do this if that means that I have to know how
>          to use "git" within the next 72 hours.
>
> Please clarify the migration planning, including the necessary
> transition
> for complete newbies (e.g. a summary of how to perform the
> equivalent of
> such basic tasks as "svn co", "svn add", svn del", "svn commit",
> "svn diff").

What timeframe would you suggest?  The idea is those of us - myself
among them - with limited git experience will have to learn.  I
don't think there is a reasonable way to have both svn and git
working, so whatever timeframe we choose, we need to decide to JFDI
at some point.   Whenever we decide we are ready to fire the INFRA
JIRA, the new git repo will get set up and the existing svn repo
will become RO.  The "migration" is just copying stuff and
repointing git mirrors.  There are lots of git tutorials available
and I am sure the experienced git users in the [math] community will
help others along.  I am certainly counting on that ;)

The same thing happened, btw, way back when we migrated from cvs to
svn.  And we had about the same level of immediately available
expertise on "the new thing."  I am fine delaying if you or anyone
else needs more time to learn git.  On the other hand, there is no
better way to learn a new tool than to start using it and just like
we do with the code itself, I am confident that we can count on our
friends to point out and fix the little mistakes we make as we learn.

Phil