Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Commons Wiki" for
change notification.

The "UsingGIT" page has been changed by LucMaisonobe:
https://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingGIT?action=diff&rev1=4&rev2=5

  An Apache specific page is [[https://git-wip-us.apache.org/|here]].<<BR>>
  There is also a wiki at kernel.org: [[https://git.wiki.kernel.org/|Git Wiki
Homepage]].<<BR>>
  Also a quick tutorial on [[http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html|Git for SVN
users]].
+ Eclipse users could have a look at
[[http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseGit/article.html|Git version control
with Eclipse (EGit) - Tutorial]].

  = Comparison with subversion commands =
-
- We first list a subversion command, and after that the equivalent git command.

  One of the most important difference from a user point of view is that since
there is always one ''local'' repository and
  one or several ''remote'' repositories, there is a distinction in git between
saving some work only locally on a private
@@ -60, +59 @@

  and `status`) only work on the local copy of a remote repository. You should
therefore use `git fetch` regularly to refresh your
  copy (if you do not want to `pull`).

+ We first list a subversion command, and after that the equivalent git command
(we use Apache Commons Math git repository as
+ an example, of course you should adapt it depending on the project).
+
   * `svn checkout `''repo-url''
+    `git clone
https://apach...@git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-math.git` (read/write
access, where apacheID is committer ID)
-    `git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-math.git`
+    `git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-math.git`
(read-only access)

   * `svn diff`
     `git diff` (shows only unstaged changes, `git diff --cached` shows
prepared commit)