On 13 January 2015 at 12:44, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 15:49:31 +0000, sebb wrote:

>>> So we need to set up a list of desirable reports...
>>> [One that comes to mind is a benchmark of FastMath.]

>>> I understand, but since there are no such utilities, better avoid
>>> potential license problems. I.e. let's first decide which examples
>>> are broadly, then publish only those when the time comes, and this
>>> in turn will require more fine-grained control of the build.
>>> So IMHO, it's better to remove the "uber" setup (if just so that
>>> we limit the things that might break, or that the thing that might
>>> break will be discovered sooner since we'd all use the same tool).

>>> And, as suggested above, perhaps that the published compiled
>>> examples won't have the problematic dependencies...
>>

>> There's another way round the uber jar. Requires Maven and Java
>> runtime but not JDK.
>>
>> That is to provide the dependency POM I mentioned earlier.
>>
>> It will download the dependencies to the local Maven repo if necessary.
>>
>> I'll add a sample to JIRA so people can try it.

> Do I understand correctly that, for the developers, it will amount to
> modularizing the "pom.xml" without changing the behaviour (of maven),
> and using the same "exec" incantation?

It uses a separate minimal POM, see the JIRA.
The suggested POM is optional, and assumes the examples jar has been
released to Maven.

> Users of CM that don't use maven, would be forced to install it, if
> they want to run the examples.

No, there is no need to install Maven if CM releases the examples as a jar.
[However obviously the MATH-1187 POM would be no use to them.]

But if CM does not release the examples jar then a CM user that does
not want to install Maven may have a problem.

The standard way to build CM Math from source is to use Maven.
So unless CM provides a separate build method (Ant, or setup files for
different IDEs, or shell scripts for different OSes) the user is going
to have to work out how to build the examples for themselves.
[CM can provide written build instructions, but the user would have to
translate those into their own build tools]

And (to state the obvious) if a CM user only has runtime Java and does
not want to install a JDK, then their only hope is if CM Math releases
the examples as a compiled jar.

In the case of a CM user without Maven, the user needs to be told what
dependencies are needed by the examples.
They then need to download all the dependencies and ensure that they
are available on the classpath when running the examples.

One way to do this is to ensure that the jars are all in the same directory.
The examples jar manifest can include a Classpath entry which can list
the jars; there is then no need to list them on the java command line
(and possibly not in the pom dependency section either)
And if the manifest has a Main-Class entry, it can be invoked as follows:

java -jar examples.jar

If you want to experiment, I suggest you try downloading the commons-net jars.

> [Anyways, we can leave the discussion about what and how to release
> the examples when the time comes...]

There are various options to try out so I would advise not leaving it
until the last minute.