Hi,

My two cents in favour of java 8:

IIUC the next major release will break backwards compatibility and aims to
clean up the API. Taking a look at the release frequency of commons math
[1], it shows releases every 9-12 months (give or take). Given that the
next big release is a major one (4.0), this indicate that a release in 2016
is a more likely target than in 2015.

It might be the case that people use java 6 or 7 today, but the picture
might be a different one a year from now.

I agree with Benedikt Ritter's comment earlier in this thread: "The
java.util.function package seems like a natural fit for a mathematics
library."

Vennlig hilsen
Martin Grotle Soukup
(+47) 95 90 34 02