Java 8 has only been out for less than a year.  There is still a sizable
percentage of groups that have not converted up to Java 8 for myriad
reasons.  While I was surprised that we are requiring backwards
compatibility with the ten year old Java 5 I think jumping all the way to
requiring Java 8 may be a bit too much of a stretch.  I would vote for a
minimum required version of Java 7 with the ability to run in Java 8.  I
wish I could find metrics to quantify the penetration of each of the JDKs,
but my gut says Java 7 would a reasonable cutoff.