On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>

> You only need a CVE ID if there is a vulnerability.
>
> I would argue (and the OPs appear to agree with me) that this is NOT a
> vulnerability in Apache Commons Collections. The vulnerability lies in
> applications that are blindly deserializing data from an untrusted
> source. Given the nature of Java deserialization, that is somewhere on
> the scale between foolish and reckless.
>
> Commons is taking action to reduce the risk to developers if they do
> deserialize untrusted data but that doesn't change the fact that the
> root cause / vulnerability is the deserialization of untrusted data, not
> what Commons Collections then does with it.

I won't argue on that. Fact is, there are such applications out there
(as of yet, we are aware of Jenkings, OpenNMS, WebSphere, JBoss, and
WebLogic [1], but the list is most likely incomplete, and there are
unidentified applications), and there is a vulnerability.Hence the
need for an identifier.

Jochen

1:
http://foxglovesecurity.com/2015/11/06/what-do-weblogic-websphere-jboss-jenkins-opennms-and-your-application-have-in-common-this-vulnerability/