On 11/24/2015 11:30 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> [...]
>>

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/tags/COLLECTIONS_4_1_RC1
>>     (svn revision 1715703)
>>
>> Site:
>>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/4.1/RC1/
>>
>> Clirr Report (compared to 4.0):
>>

>> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/4.1/RC1/clirr-report.html
>>
>> RAT Report:
>>

>> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/collections/4.1/RC1/rat-report.html
>>
>> KEYS:
>>     https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>>
>> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>>
>> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 2400
>> GMT 25-November 2015
>>
>>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thomas
>
> It fails for IBM JDK 6:
>
> ================================ %< ===================
> Failed tests:
> org.apache.commons.collections4.map.AbstractMapTest$TestMapEntrySet.testMapEntrySetIteratorEntrySetValue(org.apache.commons.collections4.map.AbstractMapTest$TestMapEntrySet)
>   Run 1: PASS
>   Run 2: PASS
>   Run 3: PASS
>   Run 4: PASS
>   Run 5: PASS
>   Run 6: PASS
>   Run 7: PASS
>   Run 8: PASS
>   Run 9: PASS
>   Run 10: PASS
>   Run 11: PASS
>   Run 12: PASS
>   Run 13: PASS
>   Run 14: PASS
>   Run 15: PASS
>   Run 16: PASS
>   Run 17: PASS
>   Run 18: PASS
>   Run 19: PASS
>   Run 20: PASS
>   Run 21: PASS
>   Run 22: PASS
>   Run 23: PASS
>   Run 24: PASS
>   Run 25: PASS
>   Run 26: PASS
>   Run 27: PASS
>   Run 28: PASS
>   Run 29: PASS
>   Run 30: PASS
>   Run 31: PASS
>   Run 32: PASS
>   Run 33: PASS
>   Run 34: PASS
>   Run 35: PASS
>   Run 36: PASS
>   Run 37:
> AbstractMapTest$TestMapEntrySet.testMapEntrySetIteratorEntrySetValue:1665
> expected:<true> but was:<false>
>   Run 38: PASS
>   Run 39: PASS
>   Run 40: PASS
>   Run 41: PASS
>   Run 42:
> AbstractMapTest$TestMapEntrySet.testMapEntrySetIteratorEntrySetValue:1665

These test failures exist since the 4.0 release, quoting your vote for
Collection 4.0 based on RC5:

> +1, builds for all but one JDK flawlessly from source. I still have 2
> failing tests for IBM JDK 1.6:
>
> Failed tests:
>   AbstractMapTest$TestMapEntrySet.testMapEntrySetIteratorEntrySetValue:1656
> expected:<true> but was:<false>
>   AbstractMapTest$TestMapEntrySet.testMapEntrySetIteratorEntrySetValue:1656
> expected:<true> but was:<false>
>
> However, since we already blamed that JDK, it does not influence the
> release.

I can not remember anymore why these have not been worked-around though,
but I suspect that it was not so simple in this case.

> ================================ %< ===================
> $ mvn-3.0 -version
> Apache Maven 3.0.5 (r01de14724cdef164cd33c7c8c2fe155faf9602da; 2013-02-19
> 14:51:28+0100)
> Maven home: /usr/share/maven-bin-3.0
> Java version: 1.6.0, vendor: IBM Corporation
> Java home: /opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.6.0.9_p2/jre
> Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: UTF-8
> OS name: "linux", version: "4.1.12-gentoo", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"
> ================================ %< ===================
>
> It fails to compile with Java 8:
>
> ================================ %< ===================
> [INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
> [ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
> [INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
> [ERROR] /home/joehni/tmp/download/commons-collections4-4.1-
> src/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/collections4/FluentIterableTest.java:
> [242,41] reference to forEach is ambiguous
>   both method forEach(java.util.function.Consumer<? super T>) in
> java.lang.Iterable and method
> forEach(org.apache.commons.collections4.Closure<? super E>) in
> org.apache.commons.collections4.FluentIterable match
> [INFO] 1 error
> [INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------

ok, this error has been already spotted by Oliver and fixed in trunk. It
is only in a test case where the type inference fails when passing a
null value to a method, as you usually do in tests.

> ================================ %< ===================
> $ mvn-3.0 -version
> Apache Maven 3.0.5 (r01de14724cdef164cd33c7c8c2fe155faf9602da; 2013-02-19
> 14:51:28+0100)
> Maven home: /usr/share/maven-bin-3.0
> Java version: 1.8.0_66, vendor: Oracle Corporation
> Java home: /opt/oracle-jdk-bin-1.8.0.66/jre
> Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: UTF-8
> OS name: "linux", version: "4.1.12-gentoo", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"
> ================================ %< ===================
>
> nor Java 9:

ok. I have to investigate these errors, but I really wonder what we
should do about it. Java 1.9 is not released yet, and these might be
compiler related bugs that will be fixed, and adding work-arounds for
things that perfectly compile with all previous Java versions does not
sound right.

> -1
>
> Sorry,
> Jörg