> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project commons-vfs2: Could not resolve
> dependencies for project org.apache.commons:commons-vfs2:jar:2.1: Could not
> find artifact jdk.tools:jdk.tools:jar:1.6 at specified path /opt/oracle-jdk-
> bin-1.9.0.0_beta116/../lib/tools.jar -> [Help 1]
> [ERROR]
> [ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e
> switch.
> [ERROR]
> [ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please
> read the following articles:
> [ERROR] [Help 1]
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/DependencyResolutionException
> [ERROR]
> [ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with the
> command
> [ERROR]   mvn <goals> -rf :commons-vfs2
> ========================= %< ======================
>
> The reason is an invalid (transitive) system dependency on tools.jar of
> Hadoop which is no longer present in Java 9.

hadoop-common:test-jar pulls in:

http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-annotations/2.6.0/hadoop-annotations-2.6.0.pom

With two different profiles, the os.linux profile activates for me as
well, as the activation here is "Not a mac".

The newer Hadoop 2.7.1 seems to have fixed to these activations.

http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-annotations/2.7.1/hadoop-annotations-2.7.1.pom

(Hadoop 2.7 presumably no longer works on JDK6)

Could you try changing all the Hadoop 2.6.0 dependencies in pom.xml to
2.7.1 and see if JDK9 is happy then?

(We can always exclude it tools.jar in the test dependency, I don't
see how it's needed for our tests)