Hi,

In reviewing an RC for Apache Commons VFS 2.1

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/Zjouqd6cpmohrj3

we wondered about a file

https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs/blob/trunk/core/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/provider/webdav/test/JcrUtils.java

which we have adapted from Jackrabbit 2.4.0.

Jackrabbit has a NOTICE which includes

> Based on source code originally developed by
> Day Software (http://www.day.com/).

Looking at the git history

https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit/commits/trunk/jackrabbit-jcr-commons/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/commons/JcrUtils.java

I think this file was earliest added in JackRabbit in 2009 by Jukka Zitting:

https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit/commit/0882a5cc1ed4ce1cf9d3c6b3a592f97c5772ce25

(first released in 1.6.0 and 2.0-alpha1 )

Is this correct, or was this file based on earlier code?

As Jackrabbit graduated from the Incubator in 2006, am I right to
assume then that JcrUtils.java is NOT covered by the earlier "Day
Software" Software Grant and corresponding NOTICE attribution?

That is, is Apache Commons free to not propagate your NOTICE for using JcrUtils?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718