On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 15:09:37 +0100, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
+1

I would call it org.apache.commons.fractions (non-mathematicians know
"fractions" more than "rationals", e.g. useful for those dealing with
ancient imperial measurements that occasionally crash Mars probes).

I think this is a clean and self-contained component, and also easy to
maintain for anyone.

I've just noticed that the "fraction" functionality exists in
Commons Lang (in class "o.a.c.lang3.math.Fraction").

Is it a complete overlap with what is in CM's package
"o.a.c.m.fraction"?
Should one be dropped in favour of the other?

Can the dependencies on "Standard Maths" be reduced to simplify maintenance
and deployment? (I can help with this if you agree)

I think that those dependencies are also duplicated in Commons Lang.

Some of them are trivial (e.g. the "abs" or "floor" functions for
which using "FastMath" is not going to be either more accurate or
significantly faster).

The odd private function that happens to look the same as a function in
Math* is OK

There are very few of them indeed.

Gilles

considering the exact structure and home for "Standard Math"
might be harder to settle (now). Similarly you will see other Commons
components that include fragments of Commons IO, to avoid a dependency just
for a single function.