On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

> Your reading and mine are a bit different. Stephen Colebourne wanted
> Fraction kept in Commons Lang as he felt users would find more value in it
> there because Commons Math is too specialized. I read Gary’s comment as a
> rebuttal to the person who said Fraction was “foundational” for Commons
> Math.  No one ever suggested Fraction deserved to be its own project.
>
> After looking at both Lang and Math my feeling is that Fraction is simply
> too small to warrant being a project on its own.  Does what is in Commons
> Math really provide any value over what is in Commons Lang? If so, perhaps
> the Fraction support in Commons Lang should just be enhanced.
>

>From my Smalltalk days, I fondly recall Smalltalk's Fraction [1] being a
basic object like Integer, very cool. So yeah, it could happily live as a
first class citizen in Commons Lang AFAIC. But what I do not want to decide
when I am coding up an app, is which Fraction to use, the one from Commons
Foo, Commons Bar or FooBar. I want one well maintained class I can rely on.

[1]
https://chara.cs.illinois.edu/sites/cs528/files/arithmetic-and-double-dispatching-in-smalltalk-80.pdf

Gary

--