On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 16:40:04 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
Le 8/08/2016 à 16:22, Gilles a écrit :

There are pro and contra; IMO, saving a few characters is not worth
wondering upon reading whether "assertEquals" is from (JUnit) "Assert"
or Commons Math "TestUtils".

Seriously, there is little doubt that "assertEquals" comes from JUnit in
a FooTest class. Everybody is used to that.

My point was that there exists "TestUtils.assertEquals": also for use
in a unit test class!
Someone might want to "import static" those too. In some files "Assert"
would be implied, and in others "TestUtils".  [No big deal: just what
you gain somewhere you loose somewhere else.]

I have no problem deciding that static import of Junit's Assert methods
is allowed.  But let's be clear that it does extend to other classes.

When people get accustomed to git, they won't see it as a constraint,
rather as second nature.

I'm accustomed to Git and I see this as a constraint that I don't have
the time to deal with.

Hence, you assume that reviewers are either not necessary, or that
they their time is worth less than yours.

We can (have to, actually) understand that long-time committers
will take a short-cut sometimes, but whenever it happens it should
not be a massive commit.  Otherwise anything goes.  I hope that you
can agree that it should not be advertised as good practice.

Emmanuel Bourg