On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 4:02 AM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 07:41:01 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> "I'd rather not redo the release steps just for files that are
>> meaningful only when browsing the code repository mirror at
>> Github."
>>
>> I know our release process is a pain, so maybe we should see if we can
>> improve it. This needs a separate thread.
>>

> I'm not the one who complains regularly that the release process
> is a "nightmare".
> It was when I did RM CM some years ago and found that some of the
> instructions just did not work.  And that what worked either was
> not mentioned (only those who "knew" could RM) or was the second
> or third alternative way.
>
> For newbies (and everyone else from your own words), that was
> indeed the nightmare.
>
> I thus initiated a single-step-by-single-step "howto" for CM that
> did work.
> And that should have been updated whenever something had to change
> to make a release successful.
>
> Who decided that "README.md" and "CONTRIBUTING.md" _had_ to be part
> of the distribution files?
>
> Did we vote on that?
>
> It's rare to release without more than one RC.
>>

> You'd have to wonder why.
> "Our release process is a nightmare" is not an answer to that question.
>
> That the instructions which many RM follow are so poor that a single
> RC is rare is no reason to infer that any release should suffer from
> the same bias.
>
> It looks pretty lame IMO if the first thing you see, our site or github, is
>> wrong or missing info. It could make one wonder about overall attention to
>> detail...
>>

> Nothing _looks_ lame.

Ahem, the site:

https://home.apache.org/~erans/commons-rng-1.0-RC1-site/

says:

"*There isn't any release yet.*
Work is currently performed actively towards release 1.0: See our
issue-tracking system. <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-6>"

The site reflects what to expect from the sources, like the reports.

If I checkout the 1.0 source tag (or src zip) and build it, I'm going to
think right away that I got the WRONG tag or wrong src zip because it says
so on the tin "*There isn't any release yet."*

Gary