On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 09:20:14 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 4:02 AM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 07:41:01 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:

"I'd rather not redo the release steps just for files that are
meaningful only when browsing the code repository mirror at
Github."

I know our release process is a pain, so maybe we should see if we can
improve it. This needs a separate thread.

I'm not the one who complains regularly that the release process
is a "nightmare".
It was when I did RM CM some years ago and found that some of the
instructions just did not work.  And that what worked either was
not mentioned (only those who "knew" could RM) or was the second
or third alternative way.

For newbies (and everyone else from your own words), that was
indeed the nightmare.

I thus initiated a single-step-by-single-step "howto" for CM that
did work.
And that should have been updated whenever something had to change
to make a release successful.

Who decided that "README.md" and "CONTRIBUTING.md" _had_ to be part
of the distribution files?

Did we vote on that?

It's rare to release without more than one RC.

You'd have to wonder why.
"Our release process is a nightmare" is not an answer to that question.

That the instructions which many RM follow are so poor that a single
RC is rare is no reason to infer that any release should suffer from
the same bias.

It looks pretty lame IMO if the first thing you see, our site or github, is
wrong or missing info. It could make one wonder about overall attention to
detail...

Nothing _looks_ lame.

Ahem, the site:

https://home.apache.org/~erans/commons-rng-1.0-RC1-site/

says:

"*There isn't any release yet.*
Work is currently performed actively towards release 1.0: See our
issue-tracking system. <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-6>"

The site reflects what to expect from the sources, like the reports.

If I checkout the 1.0 source tag (or src zip) and build it, I'm going to think right away that I got the WRONG tag or wrong src zip because it says
so on the tin "*There isn't any release yet."*

What's the point of coming back to something which I acknowledged
when you noticed it the first time:
  http://markmail.org/message/wrdtdaruxzpumrbz
?

Is the site a valid reason?
IMO, no, because it can broken and fixed at any time, not in
relation with a release.

If you think otherwise, then we should set up a vote every time
someone wants to upgrade the web site.

The site is a best effort service for users, not a source release.

Gilles

Gary

The files are there, to fill their role on Github and on Apache!

Stian just noticed that they were missing from the distribution
files, and in _that_ context (e.g. someone who want to compile
from source), they do not have any purpose.

Please check your facts before using such a word: I can happily
take that I'm not an expert on random number generators but not
so happily that I don't pay attention to the detail.

I will prepare RC2, but I find it totally disproportionate, as
there was strictly no reason to do it.

Gilles

Gary