Hi Gang,

I am new to this apache group. My two cents here for a first post. Finally
jumping after reading the threads and sensing the frustration. .  I have
pretty good success in using Math commons 3.6 for financial derivatives,
financial and economics analysis and etc.  Using the 3.6 as my a base
structure accepted by many I have code for Arima, Markov analysis,
constrained regressions, Linear programming for bond and equity
optimization and yes I do use the complex  number for derivative pricing.

http://pfadintegral.com/docs/Schmelzle2010%20Fourier%20Pricing.pdf

In fact I am writing a wrapper around the math common to write a R-like
struct...and it is going well. Adding new objects and routines is far
easier than with R. With a bit of work there is a strong possibility  of
having an ass kicking java algorithmic program.  Thus far it is so easy it
is actually fun!

While I have my own code for matrix algebra and optimization I thought
joining the open source community would provide a steady growth in
algorithmic possibilities. Do you really want a complete revamp? Yikes!

Are there issues?  Yes.  But I would hate to see this group toss the baby
out with the bathwater.  There is some good stuff here and with some work
you can have a darn good statistical optimization package for multiple
disciplines.

My suggestion .... keep the existing code and slowly migrate to a better
structure through deprecation and enhancements

Cheers to you all and keep up the good work,

Bill