Thanks for the effort, Sergio! And also thanks for the clean-up, Gary!
About time for a release. (What happened to 0.4.0?)

My vote: +0 (binding): Extra files in the dist archive

Checked:  signatures, hashes, builds.

Tested with Ubuntu 16.04:
$ mvn -v
Apache Maven 3.3.9
Maven home: /usr/share/maven
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre
Default locale: en_GB, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "4.10.0-38-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

The commons-rdf-examples still says 0.3.0 in its pom - perhaps we
should look at a way to add the examples straight to the build so its
version numbers get updated by the release process -- however I think
it's good that it has a com.example pom.xml rather than implying to
fresh Maven users they need to use our <parent> etc.

(btw, the examples compile and run well updated at 0.5.0)

About extra files:

I see release.properties and pom.xml.releaseBackup is included in the
zip file, which is a bit odd. This implies you zipped it up manually?
This is a bit fragile..

I would expect the release file to be the same as
commons-rdf-parent-0.5.0-src.zip in the Maven repo
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1287/org/apache/commons/commons-rdf-parent/0.5.0/

That archive does not include any releasePackup files or similar. It
should also be under target/checkout/target  after you released -
probably then called apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0-src.zip because the
release profile correctly overrides the local name.

stain@biggie:~/tmp$ diff -ur from-git from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-api:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-integration-tests:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-jena:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-jsonld-java:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-rdf4j:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0/commons-rdf-simple:
pom.xml.releaseBackup
Only in from-git: .git
Only in from-git: .gitignore
Only in from-dist/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0: release.properties
Only in from-git: .travis.yml

stain@biggie:~/tmp$ diff -ur from-git from-repo/apache-commons-rdf-0.5.0
Only in from-git: .git
Only in from-git: .gitignore
Only in from-git: .travis.yml

So the one in Maven staging repo more closely match git -- also if
it's the very same file (although different filename) a pet love of me
to easily double-check that the staging repo covers directly the
source of the RC vote.

My preference would be to put the renamed -src.zip from the staging
repo in dist and re-run the VOTE as "RC2" with same staging repo

Of course in this case there is not any harm of those extra files (and
I verified it still matched git tag and repo archive) - so just a +0
from me.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718