I haven't looked into the IteratorUtils class at all but it's easy to
show binary incompatibility when changing the return type.
Compile this "library" class:

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

public class Lib {
    List getMyList() {
        return new ArrayList();
    }
}

Now compile this user of the library:

import java.util.List;

public class Main {
        doit(new Lib().getMyList());
    }

    private static void doit(List list) {
        System.out.println("list is: " + list);
    }
}

Ensure it all works:

> java -cp path_to_lib Main

Should output:

List is: []

Now change the Lib class to return ArrayList instead of List and
recompile just the Lib class (i.e. importantly don't recompile Main).

Now if you try:

> java -cp path_to_lib Main

you should see:

Lib.getMyList()Ljava/util/List;