In the Groovy build we do this using Bridger
(https://github.com/dmlloyd/bridger). It's built with gradle (and uses
Ant). They have a Maven plugin but I haven't used it.

In our build we have this:

compileJava {
    doLast {
        ant.java(classname:'org.jboss.bridger.Bridger', classpath:
rootProject.configurations.tools.asPath, outputproperty: 'stdout') {
            arg(value:
"${sourceSets.main.java.outputDir.canonicalPath}/org/codehaus/groovy/runtime/DefaultGroovyMethods.class")
        }
        ant.echo('Bridger: ' + ant.properties.stdout)
    }
}

And in the relevant source file we have a small number of $$bridge
methods like this one:

public static <T> List<T> withDefault$$bridge(List<T> self, Closure<T> init) {
    return withDefault(self, init);
}

to match the original methods we are duplicating, e.g.:

public static <T> ListWithDefault<T> withDefault(List<T> self,
Closure<T> init) {
    // ... code here ...
}

Cheers, Paul.