On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 14:50, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:48:30 +0000, sebb wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 00:05, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> > wrote:

> >> I found this:
> >>

> >> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=commitdiff;h=f73546863611e5dd850fd311277f2019259489ce;hp=288c8b5196ab29e0e2ca50182a28f217e0828833
> >>
> >> Please confirm whether the fix is "manual".
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by that.
>
> I mean that the release plugin does not regenerate the "download.xml"
> page (whereas this is typically a task that can be automated).

Patches no doubt welcome to fix the plugin and its docs.

> > AFAIK the fix listed above has yet to be included in the release of
> > commons-build plugin.
> > Someone needs to release 1.10
> >
> > In the meantime, to use 1.10-SNAPSHOT you can use a command of the
> > form:
> >
> > $ mvn
> > org.apache.commons:commons-build-plugin:1.10-SNAPSHOT:download-page
> >
> > Add -Dcommons.release.version=m.n.o to override the pom version if
> > necessary.
>
> Thanks; that's what I missed.
>
> Just tried and... two problems:
> 1. The snapshot does not seem to be available from the usual place
>     (Should it be generated by Jenkins?); I had to build the plugin
>     and "install" it locally.

Yes, forgot about that.

> 2. Running the above results in an error:
> ---CUT---
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.commons:commons-build-plugin:1.10-SNAPSHOT:download-page
> (default-cli) on project commons-rng: Failed to execute: Executing Ant
> script: generate-xdocs.build.xml [download-page]: Failed to execute.:
> The following error occurred while executing this line:
> [ERROR] /tmp/plexus-ant-component10719660622814449892.build.xml:215:
> Unable to create javax script engine for javascript
> ---CUT---
> [Note: this is on Java 9 and Java 10; on Java 8 it works fine.]

OK, so that needs a bug report against the plugin (and patch if possible).

> > Since the commons build plugin is only used to automate editing the
> > download source file it does not matter whether you use a SNAPSHOT or
> > edit the file manually. Whatever gets the job done.
>
> Sure.  Even "manual" is fine as long as we are not mislead top
> believe that this is taken of care of automatically.

If the docs are misleading, then raise a bug and/or provide patches to
the documentation.

> The step-by-step release recipe detailed in the "doc" directory
> of "Commons RNG" had worked flawlessly for its v1.0 release.
> But then for the v1.1 release (done by Rob, with the release-plugin)
> some steps became outdated, with some of their replacement not fully
> working (as I've detailed in other threads), manual tweaks had to
> be done, but are nowhere documented; this is understandable since
> the plugin is in development; but what is less, is that the release
> process was broken for some components (namely "Commons RNG"), and
> contrary to what you wrote several times, there was no easy way back
> (i.e. downgrading CP) because the component's POM relied on CP for
> common configuration necessary to fix general problems.

In that case raise a bug for CP and/or provide patches.

> >> Gilles

> > The download plugin is basically a script to automate maintenance of
> > the download.xml source file.
> >
> > AFAIK it has nothing to do with the release plugin.

I meant that the output of the build plugin cannot affect the release
plugin if the latter does not invoke the former.

> IMO, it has (cf. above); it does not make sense to prepare an RC
> with a wrong "download" page since it's likely to be a blocker
> (during the vote, or ... at the announcement).

As noted above, raise a bug/enhancement if the release plugin should do more.

> > Except of course you need ensure the download xml file is correct
> > before starting the release.
>
> I do not agree; For as long as I've been here, the advice (documented)
> has been: "Run this command [...] to regenerate the download page".

Huh? That is still the case. And AFAIK that is what I wrote.

You either need to edit the file or run the build plugin to update the
download source page.

> If/when the Apache policy changes, it should become a priority task to
> update <whatever> we rely on to make releases (that should abide by
> that policy).
> We cannot ask that people who use _recommended_ procedures suddenly do
> without.

See above - not the case.

> The release-plugin goes in the right direction, but not all basic
> expectations are met yet; so that people trying it all get hit by
> the same problems (cf. current attempt for [Collections]).

So raise bugs/enhancement requests and/or patches and get it fixed.