-1

Changing the reply-to configuration increases the chances of message
threads being moved off-list by accident. I am concerned about the risk
of harm to the community that that represents.

I vote to leave the current list configuration as it. I do not see any
of the issues described. (I'm using Thunderbird.)

On 11/02/2019 08:24, Eitan Adler wrote:
> Hi all,

> set the header Reply-To: Commons Developers List
> <dev@commons.apache.org>. I had asked INFRA to remove this remove the
> reply-to munging. They asked for documented consensus before making
> this change.
>
> This is broken for multiple reasons.
>
> It violates RFC 2822 which requires that reply-to MUST only be used
> for when " ... the author of the message suggests that replies be
> sent."
>
> While this should be enough, it is useful to explain some of the
> reasoning the standard is the way it is:
>
> - It breaks MUAs that have "reply to all" and "reply" (and maybe even
> "reply to list"). In doing so, having this setting greatly increases
> the chance of privacy violations by people that expect the mailing
> lists to act normally. If you're trying to send a private reply using
> the normal method to reply, the message will be made public.

I don't see this.

Reply - > original poster
Reply List -> list

> - It adds nothing: by means of copy and paste a private reply is still
> possible, just annoying, and a workaround for a broken mailing list

No need for this workaround in Thunderbird.

> - Some mail readers provide 'personal mail' indicators. This only
> triggered when you are on the CC or TO lines. The 'feature' breaks
> this.
> - Some people prefer mail CCed to them as well as the mailing list,
> especially if reading a mailing list is lower priority than personal
> mail.

Both the above require that replies are sent to both the list and the
OP. While some people might prefer this, others do not. And we have no
way of telling which list subscribers fall into which camp.

Mail clients usually have other ways to mark threads that are of interest .

Mark