On 07/06/2019 15:16, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
Hello.

Le ven. 7 juin 2019 à 11:54, Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@joda.org> a écrit :
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 at 23:21, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was about to merge the PR but, on my machine, the build fails.
Did you try?
`mvn clean verify` works for me (maven running on Java 7 and on Java 8).
It doesn't for me:
$ ANT_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/ mvn clean verify
[... skipped...]
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.3:compile
(default-compile) on project commons-math3: Compilation failure:
Compilation failure:
[ERROR] Source option 5 is no longer supported. Use 6 or later.
[ERROR] Target option 1.5 is no longer supported. Use 1.6 or later.

That one is easy to fix, but when done, there is another error.
I'm no maven expert...

[We could set up a build on Jenkins.]

Maybe there is something strange in your set-up Gilles.

I've just run through the default GitHub merge instructions and the build works on two of my machines:

git checkout MATH_3_X
git checkout -b jodastephen-auto-module-name-MATH-1486 MATH_3_X
git pull https://github.com/jodastephen/commons-math.git
auto-module-name-MATH-1486
mvn clean verify

This is fine on JDK 8 and 7:

mvn -v

Apache Maven 3.6.0 (97c98ec64a1fdfee7767ce5ffb20918da4f719f3;
2018-10-24T19:41:47+01:00)
Maven home: /usr/local/apache-maven-3.6.0
Java version: 1.8.0_212, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre
Default locale: en_GB, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "4.4.0-148-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

mvn -v

Apache Maven 3.6.0 (97c98ec64a1fdfee7767ce5ffb20918da4f719f3;
2018-10-24T19:41:47+01:00)
Maven home: /usr/local/apache-maven-3.6.0
Java version: 1.7.0_201, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "3.13.0-91-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"
Back then (pre-fork), I was in favour of maintaining both lines (3.X
and 4.X); but the 3.X branch has not been maintained for more than
3 years, and it shows.  Now (post-fork), my opinion is that the effort
would be better placed in getting the new dependencies of the
development version of Commons Math released, and release CM
4.0 thereafter.
Its great that there is a plan to move forward. But that doesn't solve
the key issue here. Commons-Math 3 is used by over 2300 open source
repos on GitHub [1]. Of course not all are significant projects, but
some are. While some of those projects may be able to move to
Commons-Math 4 when it completes, others will not be able to (because
of their own compatibility constraints). And some of those projects
may want/need to use Java 9 modules, but can't because Commons-Math 3
doesn't have a module name. I'm trying to provide a minimum effort way
for you or another release manager to satisfy that need. I'm very
definitely NOT trying to fix bugs or maintain the branch - in fact my
proposed approach is closer to a security patch in scope.
It's how I had understood it, and you are most welcome to
drive such a maintenance/security release.
If the build process works on your machine, you are a better
RM candidate. ;-)

Stephen

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-math/network/dependents