The idea of a backing array is fine and the only problem I see with it is
in very large filters (on the order of 10^8 bits and larger) but document
the size calculation and let the developer worry about it.

As for the merge question.  merge is a standard bloom filter operation.  It
is well defined in the literature.  Merging a bloom filter into a counting
bloom filter means incrementing the bit counts.  I  think that merge/remove
should continue to operate as though the parameter were a standard bloom
filter.

We had spoken of implementing and adding/deleting method pair that would
operate on CountingBloomFilters and would add/subtract the counts.  (e.g.
add(CountingBloomFilter) and subtract(CountingBloomFilter))

I disagree with your proposal for the merge(Hasher) implementation, and I
am not certain that an add(Hasher) makes sense.  First consider that the
Hasher returns the bits that are to be enabled in the Bloom filter so
collisions are expected.  In the normal course of events a Hasher is used
to create a normal Bloom filter where all the duplicates are removed.  That
filter is then merged into a CountingBloomFilter.  So in some sense the
Hasher and the normal Bloom filter are the same.  So I would expect the
merge of the Hasher and the merge of the normal Bloom filter created from
that hasher into a CountingBloomFilter to yield the same result.  If you
wanted to add an add(Hasher)/delete(Hasher) pair of functions to a
CountingBloomFilter you could implement with duplicate counting, but I am
not certain of the validity of such a count and I fear that it muddies the
waters with respect to what the CountingBloomFilter is counting.

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>