On 2020-07-24, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> When it comes to dependencies wie have both problems: if we upgrade
> dependencies to aggressively (or if we don't test with older dependencies)
> then users have the problem that they might not easily be able to upgrade to
> a new commons version since the required new dependency version might
> conflict with other (thirdparty) users of that dependency.

> On the other hand if we not continuously update external dependencies we
> might miss out on their new features, performance and fixes. In addition we
> might fall behind and have the  to do painful Big Bang Upgrades. Also when
> our transitive dependencies are outdated and contain bugs (or compliance
> violations due to old code) some customers might not be happy.

I hear you. I'm not opposed to updating a dependency if we want to use
new features. What I'd like to avoid is updating without a reason other
than "there is a new version and it seems to work according to our
tests".

> So there is a middle ground to be found, which unfortunately collides with
> the current limited effort maintenance of some of the components:

> - we should define a minimum baseline version of dependencies and runtimes
> and on each release we check if we still meet them. When we raise the
> baseline we should ship a new minor (or even major) version. Also we might
> want to ship security fixes only as a micro update (I.e. not requiring major
> updates besides the affected code)

One problem with patch updates for security releases is the release vote
will reveal a security update is in the making and the diff will be
small enough to give away the details before the vote has passed. I may
be paranoid.

> - we should regularly test against latest dependency versions (at least
> within the same minor branch).

Apache Gump?

What you describe sounds good, but "unfortunately collides with the
current limited effort maintenance of some of the components".

Stefan