There might be a lot more to consider here since this would be a major
release. Are there breaking API changes we want to make? Are there
deprecated APIs we want to drop?

I see a lot of errors fly by when I do a local build on Windows but these
do not seem to fail the build which is odd.

It seems to me that this project has not been released in a long time, so
there should be some consideration to taking advantage of the version of
Java the component is now sitting on.

I think I saw an animal sniffer setting set to Java 15? How does that make
sense?

To make a long story short, we should not be in a rush to release a major
new version just for the sake of creating a release. Maybe that would be
better in the 3.x context, I'm not sure.

Gary