Le dim. 23 mai 2021 à 22:54, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 15:58, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I've created a multi-module[1] version of the code base with a
> > corresponding JIRA issue:
> >     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1575
>

> Thanks. This is more maintainable going forward.
>

> > The upcoming version of CM would depend on (non-beta) releases of
> >   * Commons Numbers
> >   * Commons Geometry
> >   * Commons Statistics
> >
> > Any objection to have those released, and then CM v4.0, ASAP?
> >
> [...]
>

> Do you propose to release v4 to get a release out with all recent bug fixes

Yes.

> and then work on v5 to resolve major design issues?

This could be done incrementally in 4.x releases if new modules are added
and the corresponding legacy code marked as deprecated but not removed.

> Or can the
> design issues be isolated to packages and thus v4 would not include
> packages that require a major redesign?

It would not be easy to sort out what must be released because some
bug was fixed from what should not be because some bug wasn't
fixed yet...

> For example I recall there are
> issues with math3.stat.descriptive.moment but the attempt to move these to
> Statistics in GSOC 2019 was not completed. So for example could the entire
> stat package not be released in v4 and new code would be targeted to
> Statistics?

There are design issues (big or small) everywhere; if some "legacy" codes
are not released, it would entail that we support 2 versions of the
library (i.e.
the old v3.6.1 for all the bits not released in v4.0).

The overall problem with CM is that we effectively do not support the whole
code base (e.g. several reported bugs linger due to lack of expertise in the
concerned area).
Of course, it was the main reason for developing and releasing more focused
components that were within the area of interest of the currently active
developers.