Le dim. 23 mai 2021 à 22:54, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 15:58, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I've created a multi-module[1] version of the code base with a
> > corresponding JIRA issue:
> >     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1575
>

> Thanks. This is more maintainable going forward.
>
> [...]
>
> Do you propose to release v4 to get a release out with all recent bug fixes
> and then work on v5 to resolve major design issues? Or can the
> design issues be isolated to packages and thus v4 would not include
> packages that require a major redesign? [...]

As an intermediate step (which Samy Badjoudj seems to have undertaken),
the "legacy" module itself could be split into several modules, e.g.:
  * commons-math-legacy-exception
  * commons-math-legacy-linear
  * ...
Those would still be "legacy" because the split would primarily deal with
removing spurious dependencies, but still contain code that IMO should be
abandoned (like the whole exception "infrastructure") in non-"legacy" code.
More involved design issues (probably requiring more in-depth knowledge
of the algorithms and their various use-cases) and major tasks (refactoring
the "regression" package, for example) will be left for later.