On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 at 23:20, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there other issues with "BrentSolver"?
> I'd suggest that we release v1.1 (or v1.0.1) of Commons Numbers
> (with the fix for NUMBERS-167 and the changes related to Erfc).

I don't think so. The bug I found was in other brent solver
implementations I compared it to. It is a standard way to look for a
sign change:

double x, y;

if (x * y < 0) {
    // sign change
}

But this does not work if x*y underflows to -0.0. The sign change is
not detected.

I stopped working on the brent solver used in the inverse CDF as I
moved on to other things. I just need a bit more time to look at it.
It may just require some updates to the tolerances that are being
used.

Alex