On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 12:22, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like there is a general move to switch from Travis to GitHub
> Actions.
> AFAICT the following components are still using Travis:
>
> geometry
> jelly
> jxpath
> math
> numbers
> rng
> weaver
>
> Do we need to move these as well?

In terms of supporting a CI build on all PRs for a range of platforms then
the two provide the same functionality. I am not opposed to moving to GHA.
It just did not seem necessary.

One issue I have with GH actions is that when a build fails there is no
option to scroll the build output log to the end to see the error. This is
useful for maven's verbose output logs, especially with the multi-module
projects (geometry, math, numbers, rng, statistics). Looking at a recent GH
build you can search in the output log, but not scroll to the end. Maybe
this is different if the build fails; I only looked at one that passed.

The feature I liked from Travis was the integration of coverage reports
from coveralls. This would red light a PR in the main page if coverage had
dropped. There is no coveralls GHA. I installed the Codecov action for
[Collections] as a test a few months ago and it has been sending coverage
emails to our dev list since. You can click through and scroll the report.
I do not think it red lights a PR for low coverage so you have to read the
report. I am undecided if I prefer the report. No-one else seems to have
commented either way. But I think it important that any PR has automated
checks that the new code is executed.

One thing I have noticed is that Travis is a bit flaky. Sometimes it does
not run for PRs. We had a few spells on some projects where the Travis CI
did not link up then magically started working again with no changes to
settings. It's been a while since I looked at a PR using Travis and the
coveralls reports. So I will open one now and see if the integration is
still there.

Having just opened one it does not log a Travis CI build in the GitHub
page. LGTM analysis is running. Travis-ci.com does not pick up the PR. The
last build was 6 days ago on master. [1]

The settings are all good to build PRs. So this is an example of the flaky
support we get from Travis. If nothing else this is a reason to change to
GHA.

Matt uses PRs a lot on geometry to check builds on multiple platforms.
Perhaps he can feedback on whether the Travis integration is working there.

> BTW, emails from GHA runs can now be directed to project mailing
> lists, which is great (*)
> See: https://s.apache.org/asfyaml-gha

Currently if I commit something that breaks a CI build on Travis (or
Jenkins which we use for snapshot deployment) then I receive an e-mail. I
am more likely to respond to personal e-mails than e-mails to a list. Can
GHA target both types of mail?

Alex

[1] https://app.travis-ci.com/github/apache/commons-rng