Hello.

Le jeu. 28 juil. 2022 à 14:36, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> The former sounds broken and the later does not.

Of course, I'm a poorer judge than you about idiomatic usage.

> Technically, I would say
> that "code" is an "uncountable noun".

I suspected the origin of the remark, but I did not know the
"uncountable noun" expression (although it is pretty obvious
once you see it).  Thanks for the pointer.

> The English language has many
> different kinds of nouns.
>
> I talk about "the code" in the repository and "lines of code" in a file.
> Another way to think about this kind of noun is that "code" is like
> "water", "air", and "money" [1].

I knew that; and my take on the use of plural was indeed because
I actually wanted to convey "countability" in this context even though
in other contexts, I'd fully agree on considering "code" as uncountable.
Then again, feel free to fix all the occurrences that sound broken to
native speakers.

Thanks,
Gilles