Hello.

Le ven. 23 sept. 2022 à 12:25, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> The pom for RNG has many plugins that explicitly manage a version. IIUC
> this was done to surpass the version in commons parent. However this is no
> longer required. The following plugins all have a higher version in CP 54
> (version shown at the end of the line):
>
>     <rng.pmd.version>3.14.0</rng.pmd.version>  3.19.0
>     <rng.pmd.dep.version>6.37.0</rng.pmd.dep.version> 6.49.0
>     <rng.checkstyle.version>3.1.2</rng.checkstyle.version> 3.2.0
>     <rng.checkstyle.dep.version>8.45</rng.checkstyle.dep.version> 9.3
>     <rng.antrun.version>1.8</rng.antrun.version>  Managed in
> org.apache:apache parent as 3.1.0
>     <rng.surefire.version>3.0.0-M5</rng.surefire.version> 3.0.0-M7
>     <rng.junit5.version>5.7.2</rng.junit5.version> 5.9.0
>
> I propose to update to CP 54 and then drop this version management.

The more is managed globally the better.  However, I never understood
the rationale for an upgrade (to "shared" files) that is known to break
one or more components...
If it is bound to happen[1], wouldn'it be possible to decouple those
upgrades from actual fixes (i.e. things that *all* components benefit
from but that don't break anything).

> The drawback is that any upgrade of the project to CP will be hit with many
> changes, some of which may require code changes or rule exceptions. This
> can be mitigated by explicit management of the respective properties in CP
> back to versions that do work. However keeping inline with CP takes
> advantage of the latest versions maintained by dependabot.

We shouldn't have to choose between old bugs and new bugs.

Gilles

[1] Because some people want to go forward (with newer, and perhaps
incompatible, versions of plugins) while others don't have the same pace
(wanting to stay with older versions or not having the time to make the
required checks).