> Would't it be simpler to deal with the serialization issue by bumping the
> serialVersionID?
simpler yes, but it's a different thing
The PR makes the serialized forms for commons-csv versions 1.9.0 and 1.10.0
compatible.

Given that serialization has been broken for several versions in commons-csv
and given that "fixing" it now is a labor of love which does not add much value,
I am in favor of throwing it out altogether now rather than in some future
(major) version. Clearly inform about it in the release notes and be done with
it.

> Also note the PR will throw an NPE in the builder
> when instead of using the validate() method.

setDuplicateHeaderMode(null) is illegal and should be fail-fast IMO

kind regards,
Markus