Thank you for your quick responses.
If I am summarizing the discussion for a quick conclusion for developers
who are looking to contribute, the following points can be concluded.

1. Bugs are safe to start work on because they are anyway bugs which we
need to look into.
2. Issues marked with improvements and new feature requests may or may not
be accepted. Therefore, best to get a vote on them using the dev mailing
list.

Feel free to comment / provide more feedback :)