I'd like to make a few comments about issues that have arisen during the evaluation process for GSoC. I'm going to give my opinion on each, please treat this as lazy consensus - do speak up if you wish to disagree or add more items:

Not enough visibility of the process
====================================

There will always be someone who doesn't read the stuff we send out. Where this is the case I don't think we should worry ourselves.

Sending to PMCs (including the incubator PMC) is sufficient to reach people. We don't want to send out to committers@ as the project as a whole needs to be behind taking on a GSoC student.

Reaching PPMCs is more problematic, I think we should continue to rely on incubator mentors taking the message to their projects if they feel it is appropriate.

PROPOSAL
--------
Make it explicit that incubator mentors should pass the message on to PPMCs if appropriate.

Marking experience mentors up
=============================

I really don't like the idea up to 2 points for having been a successful mentor before, firstly it is error prone (e.g. both Bertrand and Luciano have been mentors *and* admins, yet the admin this year was unaware of that). Secondly, just because someone has mentored a student in the past doesn't mean they will be better than another mentor. Finally, mentoring a failing student is, in many ways, more educational than mentoring a successful one.

We already have "Does the mentor show an understanding of how to mentor a student? (0-4 points)" - I'm more interested in whether the mentor knows what is expected. However, applying this score is difficult.

PROPOSAL
--------
Remove "Has the mentor had a successful student in the past (0-2 points)" from the admin rankings

Add some docs to the ranking process about what admins are looking for with respect to "oes the mentor show an understanding of how to mentor a student? (0-4 points)" (Noirins mail with the subject Admin coordination to alexei.fedotov on code-awards wouild be a good starting point)

Original Ideas are good

Past experience has shown that if a student proposes their own idea and it is accepted the student is going to be strong.

PROPOSAL
--------

Add the following to the mentor ranking:

Is the project definition and idea originally the mentee's, the
mentor's or a collaborative effort? (0-2 points, 2 if mentee's idea, 1
if collaborative, 0 if mentor's)