On the other hand, this has been the single criterion that has defined
successful students in Mahout (which is definitely less standards driven).

In Derby and similar projects, I think that this can be interpreted
differently, but it still is a useful ranking indicator.  Within the set of
Derby applicants, this would be very useful.  Perhaps there should be a
countervailing feature that allows Derby to be marked as "project that is
very hard for students to be entirely original in their proposal (+1)" would
allow a global comparison to be reasonably valid.  Or perhaps gating by
number of mentors first so the ranking is mostly within the project would
solve that.

Either way, it is a very valuable feature for us.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net