I now have a Roller task that runs periodically, gathers up to 30 blog
entries from the last 30 days and then sends out an email that lists
each entry with a link and a short excerpt. It can be configured to
send out this email once a month and to only include blog entries with
one specific tag, e.g. 'newsletter'

So, now the questions are about format, process and who does what.

First, what format should the newsletter take, what title and content
should be shown in addition to the blog entry summaries? Doe we need
special signature, links, disclaimers?

Next, what should the process be? Does somebody get the email, add
some cheerful chat at the start and then send it out or does the email
just go out automatically? I think the best approach might be for the
email to come to this mail list (dev@community.apache.org), then
somebody on the list steps up to draft a short snappy intro, tweaks
the format, maybe adds some special messages from the ASF and sends it
out to a wide audience.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
- Dave