Feh. Another screed about raising children from someone who has, apparently,
never met one.

Every parent I know has had the same experience: hand some infant female a
truck, and she rejects it. I'm carefully choosing my words to avoid claiming
that this is universal, as opposed to extremely common.

My daughters were no exception. Attracted like magnets, initially, to dolls
-- and later interested in a variety of subjects. The ballet dancer will
probably not write the next Linux, but the jury is still out the younger
one.

The author just retypes the same old tired stuff about kids and toys, when
reality is much more complicated.

People are born, it seems, with a complicated set of predispositions, some
of which are more or less strongly related to gender. Toy stores sell what
people buy, and some of what people buy is what their kids pop out wanting.

On the other hand, the claim that pre-age-seven play habits are causative of
later decisions and preferences is supported in this piece only by quoting a
Jesuit. Even by the low standards of social science, that's weak. It's also
stupid, thoughless, determinism. It never ceases to amaze me that any
suggestion of generic influence rejects to the point of offense, but the
same writers assert that environmental effects are cast into immutable
stone.

Maybe women are just smarter and have figured out that they can get more
money for less work in marketing?