I don't know if this is the right list or not (infra?), but I saw the topic
here (and it is the 4th or 5th such request I've seen in the past 3-4 months)
and in my mind it relates to improving the community, so I figured I'd discuss
here first and then maybe we can take a proposal to infra@.

It really is time for the ASF to modernize moderation and our mailing lists.
The current approach is very antiquated compared to other lists/groups I
moderate (LinkedIn, Google Groups, Wordpress, etc.) and it is no doubt a drain
on what is already a fairly constrained resource (i.e. committers, PMC members
and heavy contributors).

Things that I think we need in order to make moderation easier:
1. Web interface where you can bulk process requests, either accepting in bulk
or rejecting in bulk.  The mail by mail approach is horribly tedious and is so
often overwhelmed by spam that it takes too long to find the ones that aren't
spam.
2.  Figure out a way for official ASF communications to PMCs, etc. to NOT have
to be moderated.  I find it ridiculous after all this time that I have to
moderate in messages from board members, or others, etc. to PMC and/or other
lists.  There should be official communication channels that authorized people
can use when they sign in w/ their ASF credentials.
3. Better spam detection such that any email that is NOT spam, after sitting in
the queue is automatically sent back to the user w/ instructions on how to
subscribe to and properly send mail to the desired list.  Anything that is spam
is put into a separate folder automatically and left to die after X days like
the current approach.

Other mailing list nice to haves:
1. For user (as opposed to dev) mailing lists, when someone sends an email to
the list, automatically do a search in the archives first that replies back w/
potential answers and FAQs, thus offloading the I can't bother to perform a
search first questioners.
2. Web interface. Web Interface. Web Interface.  Don't get me wrong, I want a
good old fashioned email, but a web interface would bring in a lot more people
in my opinion b/c now I can pull instead of being pushed too.  For some lists
that I participate in less frequently, this would save a lot of work for my
email server while still allowing me to participate in the list.
3. The ability for moderators to pin topics to the top for all users (i.e.
FAQs, etc.)

In other words, real forum software.

-Grant