On Apr 17, 2013, at 7:04 AM, Ulrich Stärk wrote:

> On 17.04.2013 12:53, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> I don't know if this is the right list or not (infra?), but I saw the topic
>> here (and it is the 4th or 5th such request I've seen in the past 3-4
>> months) and in my mind it relates to improving the community, so I figured
>> I'd discuss here first and then maybe we can take a proposal to infra@.
>
> Infra for sure.

I'll move it over there.

>> It really is time for the ASF to modernize moderation and our mailing lists.
>>  The current approach is very antiquated compared to other lists/groups I
>> moderate (LinkedIn, Google Groups, Wordpress, etc.) and it is no doubt a
>> drain on what is already a fairly constrained resource (i.e. committers, PMC
>> members and heavy contributors).
>>
>> Things that I think we need in order to make moderation easier:
>> 1. Web interface where you can bulk process requests, either accepting in
>> bulk or rejecting in bulk.  The mail by mail approach is horribly tedious
>> and is so often overwhelmed by spam that it takes too long to find the ones
>> that aren't spam.
>
> +1
>
>> 2.  Figure out a way for official ASF communications to PMCs, etc. to NOT
>> have to be moderated.  I find it ridiculous after all this time that I have
>> to moderate in messages from board members, or others, etc. to PMC and/or
>> other lists.  There should be official communication channels that
>> authorized people can use when they sign in w/ their ASF credentials.
>
> Ask infra to subscribe your email to all private-allow lists. It's a
> one-liner on the command line
> and they'll do it if asked.
>
>> 3. Better spam detection such that any email that is NOT spam, after sitting
>> in the queue is automatically sent back to the user w/ instructions on how
>> to subscribe to and properly send mail to the desired list.  Anything that
>> is spam is put into a separate folder automatically and left to die after X
>> days like the current approach.
>
> +1
>

>> Other mailing list nice to haves:
>> 1. For user (as opposed to dev) mailing lists, when someone sends an email
>> to the list, automatically do a search in the archives first that replies
>> back w/ potential answers and FAQs, thus offloading the I can't bother to
>> perform a search first questioners.
>
> I don't believe this will change anything. They won't bother reading, the
> same way they didn't
> bother doing a search in the first place.

Sigh.  I agree, but it would be nice to try...

>> 2. Web interface. Web Interface. Web Interface.  Don't get me wrong, I want
>> a good old fashioned email, but a web interface would bring in a lot more
>> people in my opinion b/c now I can pull instead of being pushed too.  For
>> some lists that I participate in less frequently, this would save a lot of
>> work for my email server while still allowing me to participate in the list.
>
> Nabble. The integration with our mailing lists sucks though. Users still have
> to subscribe and when
> they don't (>90% of the cases) their emails show up at Nabble but possibly
> not on our lists.
>
>> 3. The ability for moderators to pin topics to the top for all users (i.e.
>> FAQs, etc.)
>
> The Welcome message when subscribing can be modified to include an URL to
> such a resource, as can
> the footer on messages.

I was thinking beyond just the initial subscription.  For instance, you could
pin release notices to the top, or FAQs, etc.  Just like in other forums.

> Google: site:mail-archives.apache.org <your term here>
> markmail.org
> Nabble
>

>> In other words, real forum software.
>
> -1. I want it pushed to me and not having to go poll dozens of websites.

With real forum software, you get both.  It's not an either/or thing.  People
who want email, get email.  People who want web, get web.  And I don't think it
requires dozens of websites.

Grant Ingersoll | @gsingers
http://www.lucidworks.com