We are discussing again, as it seems to me, what the purpose of the
Apachecon is based on talks submitted. And why is that?

It appears, at least to me as I have seen the discussions before, that the
ASF misses a clear strategy regarding the event, why we do it and what the
intended audience is. This should be fixed prior to opening the process for
the next event (Apachecon EU 2015), because then it will be easier to
communicate, easier to invite speakers (and yes, we should do that), and
get everybody on board regarding helping out.

Is the event to be considered as the bi-annual party for ourselves, where
we can all (all the presenters) claim how good we (as the individual) are
with the products of the various projects? Is it an promotion and
networking event? Or is it something that sits somewhere in the middle? And
how does it fit with the strategy and other activities of the ASF Offices
and Projects?

As soon as it is known what it is, we can investigate and define the target
audiences and set up a plan to communicate with (our public information can
be found in 20.700 pages found
https://www.google.nl/search?sitesearch=apache.org&q=apachecon and the page
listed first is related to the conference of 1998) , setup a plan to get
the attracting talks in. And I presume, that will help increase the success
of the event, the projects and the ASF.

Now, I also surmise that we don't know the size of the potential audience.
We talk about 500+ members, 5000+ committers. But we are forgetting the
number of the other contributors (subscribers to dev@) participating in our
projects and the followers of our products (subscribers to user@). These
are also numbers we can use when promoting the event. Extrapolating the
ratio of members vs committers we could say 50.000+ contributors and
500.000 followers. Communicating those numbers add to the importance of the
event for sponsors, presenters and attendees.

Let's face it: the event costs... It cost effort to organise, it uses
precious ASF resources. And net-wise it should be beneficial to both the
projects and the ASF regarding supporting the projects. Meaning adding to
the budgets, or at least be cost neutral, and leading to more contributors
to the projects.

I must admit that I don't know the exact figures per event held (e.g. EU
2014, US 2013, EU and US 2012) and what has been learned and gained from
each.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*