Again, this is not about the veto mechanism for the technical works of the
project. This is about onboarding of new people, this is about community
development.

Voting is not a technicality or formality when it comes to people. It is
the ultimate means to get to a resolution. We can discuss all we want, but
there are times when discussing doesn't lead to some kind of resolution
(consensus or implicit acceptance). When the discussion heats up, it often
leads to 'I am right and you are wrong' to and fro. When that happens
voting will bring a resolution. But then a veto is the ultimate 'my way and
I won't budge' variant in stead of seeking the compromise. In the case of
people (both onboarding and offboarding) it doesn't help to move a project
forward. It is a postponer, a show stopper.

In a posting above it said that the PMC of a project is free to define it
own ruleset regarding the way that project operates. But that freedom is
bound by the principles of the Apache Software Foundation. Principles (and
changes thereon) that are voted upon by the members of the ASF. This
platform is the place to discuss the aspects of community development in a
broader sense. Like we did when the topic of the project maturity model
came up. This is another topic in that broader sense of building mature
projects.

Why the need to talk specifics? This is not about finger pointing or naming
and shaming. And if it were, it shouldn't be done here but in a private
message to the board. And I trust that the board has ample means to take
appropriate actions.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*