> On 08 Aug 15, at 17:17, Jay Vyas <jayunit100.apa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> the asf uses slack and hip hat and atlassian already so the open source
> debate is moot, right?

Yes. The virtue of open source, here, would also lie in being able to do open
source-things, like contribute modules freely that we could then use freely.
Slack does make its API public, so one could create modules that satisfy our
community interests, anyway, I suppose.

> People will use the best tools for the job and so that should be the focus.
> I'm neutral on slack vs irc, but I think if growing the ASF is important
> slack will be of major benefit.

That’s partly it. I use IRC, too—and have since college. But mention IRC to
most people, even devs who’ve been in the business a while, and you are likely
now to get blank stares. C’est la vie.

louis