Hi, Roman,

Thanks for the review.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <r...@apache.org> wrote:

> Like I said, having a group of volunteers is fine as an intermediate
> step of handling the concern.  The ultimate escalation channel has to be a
> single officer appointed by the board.

So, what approach would work for you?

*   Keep the current mechanism (report to the archived alias president@apache)
    but change the CoC text to indicate that reporting is not confidential.
*   Report to the unarchived alias ombud@apache and require that the President
    (or their delegate) be one of the addresses behind the alias.
*   Report to individual volunteers but have the volunteers report something
    about the incident to the President.
*   Report to ombud@apache alias but have the volunteers behind
    ombud@apache report something about the incident to the President.
*   ...

> Only having president@ there as an escalation channel gives me the needed
> level of comfort to stand behind our CoC and be confident that even those
> wishing ultimate anonymity and bringing us highest level of concerns from
> the point of view of how it may backfire on the individual can be
> accommodated.

So if I understand correctly, your concern is that someone reporting a
violation of the code of conduct may be subject to retaliation.  But isn't
that possibility what we're trying to mitigate by moving the reporting
mechanism away from the archived alias president@apache, which 700+ ASF
Members (including emeritus Members) have access to?

> During the good times we all feel like we're one big happy family and why
> the heck won't we all get along and trust each other. But CoC and its
> escalation policy is NOT written for those times.

I would certainly agree that the escalation aspects of the CoC need to be
well-handled, for the sake of all parties involved in any incident.

But I would also say that the fact that we have a CoC, and that it is taken
seriously and implemented well, also has a beneficial effect during the "good
times".  It is good to know that the safety net is there.

Marvin Humphrey