To be clear, those "trusted signatures" should be using strong hash
algorithms themselves. (As well as sufficiently long keys.)
I raised the issue of weak hashes in GPG signatures for Maven projects at
ASF with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM-118 , but non-Maven
projects which manually sign releases should probably take care to ensure
their signatures are adequate. I consider this a release-voting quality
assurance step, and encourage projects to examine the signatures attached
to their release candidates as part of their release process.

--
Christopher