Great idea Rich, if you have the time to curate the content, and also
work to coordinate with the other recurring committers@ traffic (like
the monthly board email, etc.)

Katherine Marsden wrote on 3/31/17 11:20 AM:
> My only concern with this is creating a lot of followup discussion
> and chatter on committers.

Agreed.  That's why you can't opt-out of committers@, unless you want to
ask infra to deactivate your committer account.

> Maybe make the reply-to this list and make it clear that folks need
> to subscribe here if they want to see/have followup discussions.

I *thought* the policy for any email to committers@ was that it *must*
have an alternate Reply-To address, but I can't find where it's written
down.  In Rich's newsletter case, it'd be Reply-To: dev@community here,
and we can trust Rich to remember.

- Shane

> Thanks
>
> Katherine
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Mar 31, 2017, at 7:34 AM, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 03/31/2017 09:26 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>>>

>>> The draft newsletter does not seem to have instructions for opting out.
>>> Do you plan to add that before going live?
>>
>> The intent is that this would go to committ...@apache.org - a list to
>> which all committers are subscribed. There's no other list where we can
>> actually reach the audience I'm targeting - the very committers who are
>> less and less engaged with the larger Foundation with each passing year.
>>
>> Making this a separate newsletter mailing list would completely defeat
>> the purpose of the mailing.
>>
>> We also send board meeting minutes to this list, notifications of
>> upcoming events, notices of surveys, and various other messages that go
>> to the entire committership, without explicit mentions of ways to opt
>> out, other than the standard unsubscribe header.
>>
>> I'm hoping that if we make this a regular thing, the shotgun-style
>> messages to the list will decrease, and, rather, be included in a
>> regular, predictable monthly mailing, thus *reducing* rather than
>> increasing traffic on that list.
>>
>> Do you feel that an explicit opt-out mechanism is needed for this?
>>
>> --
>> Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
>> http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

- Shane