Thank you Phil for taking time to review the slides and providing such a
thorough feedback!

This is incredibly insightful -- I can definitely see the room for
improvement and clarifications. I will try and improve the slides and
speaker notes based on your feedback.

I have a few questions, which I've left inline:

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 3:18 PM Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Page 6 - the term "peer-based" seems a little odd to me and it looks
> like it is conflating two different things, both of which are
> important to us:  first - volunteers are *individuals* and second we
> have a flat org structure.  Related to the first is the idea of
> project independence, which is also important (we can't have
> projects dominated or controlled by external entities).  Missing at
> the top-level and usually included is *transparency* - everything
> technical, everything required to follow what is happening to the
> code is public and anyone interested needs to be able to follow what
> is going on via public lists.  This is covered more or less in the
> notes end elsewhere, but I would personally elevate it to a basic
> principle.  Traditionally, we have talked about Community,
> Meritocracy and Transparency as the pillars.

Ah thanks! This was the main struggle for me to put together, because I
couldn't come up with a clear list of basic principles. I found The Six
Principles[1] in the ASF website as core beliefs, but not much else was
written about them. Also, the same page refers to meritocracy as a basic
principle[2]. I think Community, Meritocracy and Transparency really
capture the philosophy of the Apache Way. I will change that slide to
include all these as top-level principles.

Perhaps I'll propose an update to the Philosophy section[1] of ASF website,
that presents these three as the basic principles to avoid confusion. Does
that sound fine to everyone?

Page 12 - I don't like the little check boxes limiting what
> committers (or any community member, for that matter) are
> responsible for.  The only real difference between PMC members and
> committers is that PMC members have binding votes on release and
> committer votes.  Committers absolutely do need to think about legal
> / IP and security issues.  And they should be involved in mentoring
> and encouraging contributors.  And all community members should have
> a voice in "rules and customs" for the project.  PMC members are not
> "managers" in the typical sense.  They are ultimately accountable to
> the Board and have binding votes, but they need to serve their
> communities.  And committers are not just coders.

I think these are good points. The intention of this slide is not to
present it as a hard truth, but more as a general guideline, and especially
to highlight that the PMC is ultimately accountable to the Board if any
legal/governance issues arise, and they are in charge of discussing private
matters such as new committers, and critical security bugs.

To express that, I think it may be useful to replace the "X"-marks with
"maybe", and give a detailed explanation in the speaker notes. How does
this sound?

> Page 14 - I am not sure I agree with the last item.  People leave
> projects all the time and there is no expectation that they "explain
> why they are leaving."

This is true. I agree that explaining why is not necessary. My idea was to
encourage people to set appropriate expectations about their involvement.
Perhaps replace that with "Be considerate: Set appropriate expectations
about your involvement". How does that sound?

> Page 15 - I don't think this is what you mean, but the slide makes
> it looks like the primary responsibility of each group is the thing
> on the right, which it isn't.  I would also be careful with the
> "don't be a bottleneck" idea.  Committers (or PMC members) should
> not feel like they have to quickly review all contributions.  They
> are volunteers.  If PRs go for a long time without getting reviewed,
> more volunteers may be needed or the community may simply not be
> interested in them.

That's a good point as well. I was trying to give some tips for
participating and contributing to a project in each role in a day-to-day
basis. I will rephrase the tips, and add some more detailed explanations in
the speaker notes.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate all the feedback! : )
-A

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#philosophy
[2] https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#meritocracy

--

*Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy*

Open Source Program Manager

646-355-9740 Mobile

601 North 34th Street, Seattle, WA 98103