On Sun, 24 Mar 2019, Craig Russell wrote:

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:51:59 +0000
From: Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
To: dev@community.apache.org
Cc: Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject: Re: on "meritocracy"

To me, meritocracy was always a force-fit to describe what we strive for.

The terms with -ocracy all have the intended effect of invoking a
top-down rule system of governance. I reject all such descriptions of
how Apache works.

How about just "merit-based" as a guiding principle. We don't have
-ocracy at all. We strive for merit-based governance.

  Our audience is very international ; for many readers
  English is a second language.

  'Meritocracy' has 50+ language references in wikipedia,
  so the concept can be understood by almost everyone.

  When using the word 'Meritocracy', is is important to
  explain on which merits the meritocracy is based :
  -- community building
  -- software construction
  -- whatever

  With that in mind, 'Meritocracy' is better than some
  vague euphemism.

  Henk Penning

Craig