From the peanut gallery:

IMO, big corporations have enough money to get their names out there and
influence projects if they want to.  So, it might be the best use of time to
find ways to limit the impact on the projects instead of trying to prevent them
from using their names.  The ASF tends to like transparency, so hiding
corporate affiliation seems wrong.

The part-time volunteer is always going to have an uphill battle against
influencing a project against a bunch of full-time paid committers whether you
know their employers or not.  The full timers will be able to influence the
project.

Isn't the real key to independence from corporations things like:
1) your committer rights move from job to job with you.
2) a commit should not be rejected based on business priorities, only technical.
Are there more?

Branding could dictate some policy to prevent a NASCAR uniform look to the
project's landing page, but since corporations are effectively contributing
significant money to the ASF by paying folks to commit code, why shouldn't they
deserve recognition?  Could projects have their own Thanks page?

Lots of NOTICE files give attribution to the pre-Apache project owner.  Why not
let other companies add their logo to NOTICE if it is important to them?

Maybe allow these two things and see if that makes the corporations happy.

Thanks,
-Alex