On 5/27/19 6:11 PM, Austin Bennett wrote:
Great to hear this is coming together.  I'm happy to help getting movement
from the Beam Community.

Very interested to hear concrete plans for hackathon, it will inform the
rest of what content we offer in the Beam tracks.  At prior beam summits
(ex: beamsummit.org), we've had intro to contributing workshops, and
working with (hands-on) beam.  We think these things are good for people to
do, though it sounds like getting setup for contributing code would largely
be covered in a hackathon?  What about getting something working -- hacking
on a project (ex: getting a beam pipeline or something like a spark ml job
running).

Wanting to ensure that we don't unnecessarily have overlapping/competing
content.

@rob, @Kevin, @Steve -- maybe let me know as you start to get this worked
out.  Happy to attempt to listen in on history lesson, should you arrange
something with @rich.

The kind of session you're talking about - hands-on, mentored workshops - are awesome and encouraged, and do not, in my opinion, conflict with a more passive "come join us" central hackathon space. Indeed, they complement one another, and each should promote the other.